Friday, November 14, 2008

Flag Day

This morning I dropped Lynsey round to work in the Hospital, and noticed the Union Flag was flying. Strange, I thought, I haven't noticed that before - was it always there and I was too sleepy to notice in the morning, or was it only there today? My confusion lasted for a moment or two, until I remembered that it is His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales, Prince Charles' birthday today! Which got me thinking on several different lines.

1. The Flag Days in Northern Ireland (and across the United Kingdom), on which the government buildings fly the flag. I found more information on it from the NI Assembly website, and the 18 days which are designated as specified days for the flag to be flown. On this, his 60th birthday, is Prince Charles really bothered that the Ulster Hospital is flying the Union Flag for him?

2. Prince Charles has had a long wait to be king. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second has held on for quite a while, leaving Charles to remain in the Prince of Wales position. This is just a bit of fun, but can you imagine Charlie leaping around Buckingham Palace gardens singing this:

>

(I just can't wait to be king - Disney's The Lion King)

Flags or no flags, king or no king, a very happy birthday to HRH The Prince of Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment