Wednesday, July 08, 2009

My First Communion

This morning I celebrated my first Lord's Supper at our traditional midweek service. An apostolic number of communicants, and all seemed to go well. It's strange, having watched others leading the service for my first 28 years, and now suddenly finding myself saying the words and leading the service.

The sermon was from Romans 5, reflecting on the wonderful love of God, in that Christ died for us while we were still his enemies. The cross is central to our celebration of the sacrament, as we recall the death of Jesus in our place, for our sake, for our sins. Along with his death, we celebrate his victory over death in the resurrection, as we proclaim Christ's death until he comes.

One thing I need to work on is the words of administration, and remembering that the bread is the body, not the blood! Had one slight mistook, but rectified it and managed to get the right words the rest of the time! Still, it's only my second time of distributing bread, as I normally distribute the cup.

So that's my first Holy Communion done, another first completed in the experiences of ministry, and a new experience as a Presbyter (or Priest). Sunday's will have a larger congregation than twelve, in my first main Sunday Communion. Here goes for it, and on the Twelfth of July too!

1 comment :

  1. Congratulations. Not sure I would have the nerve, ability or will to deliver what you have!

    ReplyDelete