Saturday, October 20, 2007

New Prayer Letter

Dear friends, 16 October 2007


How quickly time flies! At the start of the holidays, it seemed that the four months would stretch forever, but here I am, sitting at my desk in Dublin again, into the fourth week of term!


The summer was a busy one for me – the Sundays in July and the start of August saw me travelling to various places to preach and take services. I really enjoyed being in Dundonald, Annalong, and the Dromores (both Tyrone and Down!). Then in August, I travelled out to Romania to work with the Smiles Foundation – a challenging and life-changing time. I’ll be sharing more about my time in Romania in Dromore Cathedral on Sunday 4th November.


We’re now back into the swing of things in Dublin, but already it seems like we’re counting down the days until we finish – the end is in sight! Particular challenges that lie ahead include the joys of cosmology and ecclesiology, as well as the writing of a 10,000-word dissertation. The main thing on the horizon, though, is the Curacy List.


Come the end of November, the House of Bishops will publish the list of vacancies for Curates, and then the interview and appointment process begins. I’m a bit nervous about the whole process, given that Lynsey has to apply for jobs at roughly the same time – and we would like to be working somewhere near each other! It’s a test of our faith, but we are confident that God knows what He is doing and it will all work out.


This year also contains another parish placement, working on Fridays and Sundays to combine the pastoral and preaching functions. I’ll be working in Drumgath and Drumgooland Parishes (Rathfriland and Ballyward), with David Somerville.


Please pray for the following concerns:

- For the new students in college, and for the returning ones as we settle into college life and build up the life of the community

- For Lynsey and me as we prepare for marriage despite being so far apart – that we will continue to deepen our relationship

- For the Curacy List and Lynsey’s job applications

- For the Smiles Foundation and Kevin Hoy, their leader, as they serve the people of Romania and reach out with the gospel

- For the people of Drumgath and Drumgooland and their rector, David as I come among them

- For freshness in devotions, and that I will stay close to God through the challenges of this year


Thank you for your prayers and support through the past year. Be assured that you are in my prayers, as you pray for me. Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Ephesians 3:20).


With God’s richest blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment