Monday, February 20, 2012

Stuck in the Mud

Spot the townie would have been easy on Friday morning.

Attached to the Rectory, there are twenty-seven acres of Glebe land which are let out to a farmer each year. Before the letting season begins, some members of the Select Vestry went for a walk of the fields, and I went with them.

I had my wellies on, but I definitely wasn't prepared for what we encountered. The fields are fairly hilly, and at the bottom of the hills, there was an awful lot of mud. Proper sticky sucky mud. I went down in, as far as my knees, and promptly realised I was stuck. I hadn't the ability to get my leg out, as I continued to sink. It even felt as if I was going to leave my wellington boot behind. I was stuck in the mud.

I couldn't get out myself, and so had to call for help. Thankfully the men were kind (as they had a good laugh) and pulled me out. I needed a rescue. Not once, not even twice, but three times, I got properly stuck.

It reminded me of the words of Psalm 40, and the rescue God provides as he saves his people:

I waited patiently for the LORD;
he inclined to me and heard my cry,
He drew me up from the pit of destruction,
out of the miry bog,
and set my feet upon a rock,
making my steps secure.
He put a new song in my mouth,
a song of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear,
and put their trust in the LORD. (Psalm 40:1-3)

No comments:

Post a Comment