Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving

It's Thanksgiving state-side, the annual reminder of the thankful pilgrims arriving safely in the new world. A great reminder to give thanks to God, so here are some of the things I'm thankful for:

God's grace - in saving me. It'll be 21 years tomorrow since I became a Christian. Not everyone can date their conversion, but at the end of a week of mission in my home church in 1992, at the tender age of 11, I was saved from my religiosity and trusted in Christ for the first time.

God's grace - in keeping me. Christians are not perfect people. We haven't made it to glory yet, so God had not finished working on us and in us. I'm thankful that God is keeping me for what lies ahead.

God's grace - in family life. In the summer we celebrated five years of marriage and every day I am thankful for the wonderful wife the Lord has provided for me. Where would I be without my darling Lynsey?

God's grace - in ministry. Through call, college and curacy, God has been preparing me for the work of the gospel in Fermanagh. I'm always thankful for the church family I'm called to lead by teaching and pastoring. Even in the tough situations there are encouragements.

God's grace - in my weakness. I'm far from a perfect pastor, husband or Christian. My weaknesses and inadequacies are plain for all to see, and painful for me to realise. But it's when I am weak that God's grace is sufficient, because his power is made perfect in weakness. God's grace is the ground of my thanksgiving. Everything flows from his kindness to me, in giving me what I do not deserve. All praise and thanks to him.

What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?

No comments:

Post a Comment