Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Shoes

No this isn't going to be a post on women's favourite shopping items, as such, but more an observation that I've recently noticed. As you might know, I've been working from home on a research project with some of my former colleagues. The immediate advantage from working in my bedroom is that the computer is right beside the bed. The immediate disadvantage is that the bed is right beside the computer!

The odd morning I have noticed how handy it is to get up and dressed and plough into the work at my desk. But without putting on shoes, very quickly I'll become distracted and forget (if it were possible) about the work. However, the mornings that I'm fully dressed and shod, I seem to concentrate better and am more productive.

Is there something in this, I wonder... should it be a recommendation for all home-workers to put their shoes on, in order to have the work mindframe? Do the shoes help with the right attitude? Even, perhaps, a willingness to work?

We might find an echo of this in Ephesians, where Paul is talking about the armour of God... '13Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. 14Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. ' (Ephesians 6:13-15)

The readiness given by the gospel of peace - as shoes for your feet. Or as the CEV puts it, '15Your desire to tell the good news about peace should be like shoes on your feet. ' Is Paul calling us to put our shoes on and work, and tell others, and to stand firm? I think so! Let's do it!

1 comment :

  1. In Kosova,it would be very culturally inappropriate to wear your shoes while working from home...maybe slippers, but not shoes.

    ReplyDelete