Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Insomnia

Have you ever felt like this? As the evening draws on, you get tireder and tireder (if indeed, there is such a word). Then once you get to bed, you feel more awake than ever... and sleep just will not come.

Of course you have... most people can't sleep from time to time. What's unique, I suppose, is that most people don't blog about it.

For all intents and purposes, I should be sound asleep. I've had a good day, some walking (albeit in and around Belfast), enjoyed the company of friends, had more driving tonight than normal on the way to Dublin, as there was serious traffic on the Newry bypass and right through the border to Ravensdale - so we took a circular route out round by Omeath, Greenore, Lordship and coming out at Ballymascanlon roundabout. As I was reading in bed, my eyes got sore and slightly watery - not tears, but a sort of flushing phenomenon that happens from time to time (as any good phenomenon should!)... so I turned out the lights. But to no avail. Tossed and turned for a while, shifted position, went to the toilet, adjusted the covers... but still sleep aint coming.

So I thought I would check emails, counter stats, forums, and at the last instance blog. Partly to share my tale of woe, and partly to try to make me tired again! But also to remind myself of the unsleeping One, the One who watches over us all:

I lift my eyes up to the hills. From where doesmy help come? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth. He will notlet your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. (Psalm 121:1-4)

If God's doing the night shift, then there's no point in me being awake! Rather, with the Psalmist I will 'remember you upon my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night' (Ps 63:6)

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment