Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Promise of His Coming (12)

Have you ever looked closely at your job description? There's probably a list of required jobs and tasks you have to achieve in your work, maybe some targets, as well as whatever is needed for the good of the business. In previous jobs, I always found that that final clause could be interpreted in all sorts of ways, leading you to do all sorts of wee jobs you would never have imagined.

In ministry as well, you find yourself doing things you never imagined. Over this past year, I've been a car park attendant, a competitive chef, a waiter, chair stacker, paper folder, photocopier, and many other things as well. Extra ways of serving, and all for the work of the kingdom.

In Isaiah 49, the LORD is addressing his servant, as his job description is being expanded:

And now the LORD says, he who formed me from the womb to be his servant, to bring Jacob back to him; and that Israel might be gathered to him - for I am honoured in the eyes of the LORD, and my God has become my strength - (Isaiah 49:5)

The Messiah, the servant of the Lord was commissioned to go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel (Matt 15:24), but that isn't enough now - his horizon is expanded to stretch around the globe:

he says: "It is too light a thing that you should be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob and to bring back the preserved of Israel; I will make you as a light for the nations, that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth." (Isaiah 49:6)

Jesus is a light for the nations, the light of the world, so that his salvation reaches to the ends of the earth, so that whoever wherever and whenever anyone calls on the name of the Lord, they will be saved. O light for the nations, come.

No comments:

Post a Comment