Saturday, May 19, 2007

Shower Psalms

This morning as I stepped out of the shower, found myself breaking into song. Don't worry, my life is not a musical, where a full chorus emerges from the hot press to accompany me in the theme song... (I wonder who would play me in the musical or film of my life, though... answers in a comment!)

Music is very important to me, and can encourage and cheer. One of my favourite hymns is the Tate and Brady metrical version of Psalm 34 - 'Through all the changing scenes of life'. But the song I broke into this morning was the metrical version of Psalm 23. I only sung the first line, but that was enough for the purpose.

'The Lord's my Shepherd, I'll not want.'

When growing up, I always used to puzzle over this line. What could it mean? Was it saying that while the Lord was my shepherd, I wouldn't want him to be that?Is Jesus the shepherd I don't want?

I now understand that what the line is saying is that because the Lord is my shepherd, then I won't be in want - he supplies my need and is all I need in himself. The cattle on a thousand hills are his. What could I possibly need?

And that truth was enough for this morning.

The Lord's my shepeherd; I'll not want.' Amen!

2 comments :

  1. Halleujah! We have Christ ahd God Supplies all our needs according to His riches in glory!

    Check my blogs and posts:
    http://howard-godlovesyou.blogspot.com/
    http://howard-jesusandme.blogspot.com/
    http://howard-godsgrace.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, but that's still spam

    Gary - Tobey Maguire would play you. Dad's sure of it.

    ReplyDelete