Monday, January 07, 2008

Reading and Readers

I like to think of myself as a decent reader. Normally I have at least one book on the go - one I have in my backpack, another in the car for those moments when I'm doing the unpaid taxi-driver routine for family, and maybe one beside the bed in each of Dublin and home.

Throughout the year, I manage to get about 80 - 90 books read. This is roughly about three every two weeks, and would cover a range of theology, novels, fictions, Christian biography, travel, commentaries, and my personal weak spot - Jeremy Clarkson collections! Last year I got in 78 books, which I was fairly pleased with. Yes, I'm sad. Yes, I record the books I read - so that I can remember which ones I have read. Not sure how last year's figure compares with previous years as I don't have my filofax with me, but I think it may be slightly down.

Anyway, what prompted me to write about my reading was a blog I recently read which stunned me. Rosemary was home in Belfast for Christmas, and in the space of a couple of days seems to have read seven or eight books! Phenomenal!

Another reason I'm blogging is that I have been inspired (by Erik at Irish Calvinist) to review the books that I'm reading, or at least share wee bits I find interesting from them. And that will start in the very near future - or at least it would need to as I've already two books read!!!

1 comment :

  1. with all that work you have to do will you have time to read books??? i here you are going to be phoning? im back home next week so i could get measured for the skirt you want me to wear! Look forward to your book reviews by the way! i might join you in this endevour, as my blog seems to have come to a dramatic end that the moment!
    Talk to you soon

    ReplyDelete