Friday, December 05, 2008

I'm a Christian ... Get Me Out Of Here?

Tonight sees the end of this year's shameless self-promotion otherwise known as I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here. Even though this is the eighth series in the UK, this is the first I have seen of it - mainly because there are a few nights when we're actually in the house and there's not much else on the telly.

The three contenders left in the final night are Joe Swash, of Eastenders fame; George Takei, of Star Trek fame; and Martina Navratilova, of Wimbledon and tennis fame. At least I've heard of all these three - some of the earlier evictees I had never heard of, which can't say much for their celebrity status?

By this stage, I'm not fussed who wins or loses - I won't be voting, but I was glad to see DVD, David Van Day get voted out, as he was being a bit twisty in the camp.

But anyway - the title of this posting - during their jungle adventure, the celebrities had to do various tasks and challenges to win food for the camp. Some really gruesome things, during which I was glad I wasn't eating. Acquaintances were made with mice and rats, spiders, bugs and other scary creatures. If it got too much for the contestants, they could cry out 'I'm a celebrity, get me out of here' and they would be released from the trial.

Do we sometimes imagine that the Christian life is something similar? That we can breeze through life, clutching our golden ticket to heaven, not worrying about anything, ready to cry out, 'I'm a Christian, get me out of here!' This life isn't just about sitting around waiting for Jesus to take us or to return - rather, we're called to be active in spreading the good news of the kingdom, making the best use of the time.

The apostle Peter was writing to people who thought that the Lord was being slow in his return. Certainly those outside the church were suggesting that. But Peter reminds them to be ready: 'But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.' (2 Peter 3:18)

I'm a Christian - use me as you will, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment