Thursday, February 02, 2006

Homiletics

Homiletics is basically the study of preaching, and is one of the new courses we have started in the second term. So we've had two weeks of it so far, and I'm particularly enjoying it. For the class yesterday, we had to prepare some thoughts and background on John 2:1-11 (The wedding at Cana), and the whole hour of the class was basically an extended Bible study on the passage. Now this is more like it!!!

We haven't really learnt much about how to preach at the minute though, which is what I'm looking forward to learning a bit more about. Although I'm not sure if what we'll be taught here would compare with the material and content of the Theological Students' Conference I was at last summer in London at the Proclamation Trust.

Speaking of which, the Conference will be running this year again (under a slightly different name of the Preaching Summer School, but with the same focus), and I'm hoping to attend, with some of my colleagues from here in Dublin. More information is available from the Proc Trust website.

On other news, Lynsey touches down in Dublin in about 6 hours time... oh what a day! We'll get to spend the day in Dublin tomorrow, prior to her doing a medical placement in a local surgery in County Down.

1 comment :

  1. My very first homiletics-type assignment at Bible College was based on that very passage in John 2! How bizarre!

    However,I must qualify that I have never preached and I never will. I chose to take that particular class to help me with studying and teaching the Bible in general...one of our course books was The Practical Preacher which I think is a Proc Trust publication or something like that...but now that I'm writing this, I think that we have had this conversation before so I better stop!

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    Primrose :)

    ReplyDelete