Wednesday, March 07, 2007

The Hand of God - a book review

You may remember me writing that my chosen reading for the retreat day was going to be Fred Leahy's final book, 'The Hand of God.' Sadly there wasn't much time to read, so it was momentarily delayed until essays were under way. I recently finished reading it, eventually, and thought I should write a little something on it.

Fred (if I may be so bold as to call him by his first name), has again provided us with a work of immense value. Taking as his subject the hand of God, he looks at God's sovereignty through a number of areas - the hand that creates; governs; provides; redeems; keeps; guides; chastens; blesses; enables and judges. It is a thoughtful and though-provoking book, which time and again leads the reader to sheer amazement and wonder at the glory of God, and at the grace of God in His dealings with sinners like us.

I had previously read his three books on the cross - The Cross He Bore; The Victory of the Lamb; and Is It Nothing To You? Those books were brilliant, and so is this new one. If you've never read anything by Leahy before, now is the time to start.

Sadly for us, but joyfully, I am sure he is with the Lord, having passed on to glory. While we remain, we should enjoy and learn from his legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment