Friday, November 14, 2008

Praying Without Ceasing

You might recognise the title of the posting from 1 Thessalonians 5:17. Yet, it's actually from our latest installment in Paul's letter to the Romans. Remember that Paul is writing to Christians he has never met, yet he prays fervently for them:

For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I mention you always in my prayers, asking that somehow by God’s will I may now at last succeed in coming to you. (Romans 1:9-10)

What a testimony, that he never fails to mention them in his prayers. How is our praying in comparison? But even more than that - it's not just a general 'bless mummy and daddy and the cat' kind of praying that Paul is engaged in. He prays with a specific aim in hand - 'asking that ... I may now at last succeed in coming to you.' Again, how does our praying compare? Do we know what it is we want to pray for, or is our praying of a general nature?

Let's take Paul as an example and emulate both his fervency and his focus, in praying to the Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment