Monday, February 02, 2009

A Not So Quiet Time


Ebony and Ivory
Originally uploaded by Gary McMurray.

I must confess. Sometimes my quiet times aren't so quiet. Music plays an important part in my life, and sometimes, it is an essential part of my devotional times.

I'll give you an example. Last week while at the Preaching Conference, my small group was looking at Revelation. In one of the sessions we were studying Revelation 5, with the new songs sung to the Lamb.

"Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honour and glory and blessing! To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honour and glory and might for ever and ever" And the four living creatures said, "Amen" and the elders fell down and worshipped. (Rev 5:12-14)

I can't hear those words without immediately hearing the conclusion of Handel's Messiah ringing in my ears: Worthy is the Lamb. * That evening, I had to listen to the concluding sections of Handel's Messiah, and was lost in wonder, love and praise. Let's hope we sing it in glory!

On other occasions, devotions can occur as I sit on the piano stool. I'm not a great pianist - one fingered normally works, and I'm starting to add in simple bass notes too, using the guitar notation at the top of the music. Yet as I (very) slowly play through In Christ Alone or Oh To See The Dawn or some older scriptural hymns, the words resonate and become 'stuck' in the mind. This helps me remember the words, to reflect on scripture as I go about my day, and it's also much better than having Lady Gaga's Just Dance or Pink's So What constantly replaying in my head.

I remember reading a book called Music to Move the Soul. There's no doubt that music is spiritual, but will we use it for good or evil? My not so Quiet Times can be a source of strength as I depend on the Lord and sing for Him.



* I've tried to embed a video and link to a video of Worthy is the Lamb, but it doesn't appear to be working at present. I'll try again later.

1 comment :