Tuesday, August 07, 2007

The Prophet Like Moses

Explore is currently working through Deuteronomy and yesterday I came to the prophecy of a new prophet like Moses:

The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your brothers - it is to him you shall listen - just as you desired of the LORD your God at Horeb on the day of the assembly, when you said, "Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God or see this great fire any more, lest I die." And the LORD said to me, "They are right in what they have spoken. I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers. And I will put my words in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I command him. And whoever will not listen to my words that he shall speak in my name, I myself will require it of him." - Deuteronomy 18:15-19

So who was this prophet like Moses? Was he speaking of Joshua, the next leader of the people of Israel? Probably not, as Joshua wasn't a prophet in the same way as Moses. Or was it perhaps Isaiah or Jeremiah, or one of those great prophets? No, I don't think so.

The prophet like Moses was Jesus - the one who revealed the Father, who spoke the Father's words, and who brought his people out of the bondage of slavery in the new Passover. That Passover was through the sacrifice of himself (the lamb without blemish and spot -1 Peter 1:19), so that the righteous wrath of God against sin passes over those who seek refuge under his covering, just like the blood of the lamb was the sign of salvation for the Israelite household in Egypt.

Yet, as the book of Hebrews tells us, there is also a distinction between Moses and Jesus - in that Jesus is greater than Moses:

Therefore, holy brothers, you who share in a heavenly calling, consider Jesus, the apostle and high priest of our confession, who was faithful to him who appointed him, just as Moses was faithful in all God's house. For Jesus has been counted worthy of more glory than Moses - as much more glory as the builder of the house has more honour than the house itself. (For every house is built by someone, but the builder of all things is God). Now Moses was faithful in all God's house as a servant, to testify to the things that were to be spoken later, but Christ is faithful over God's house as a son. And we are his house if indeed we hold fast our confidence and our boasting in our hope. - Hebrews 3:1-6

No comments:

Post a Comment