Monday, April 25, 2005

Music

Hey guys (this is still slightly strange, talking to people who I may not know, who read these random thoughts, but anyway...)

I don't know what your taste in music is, but let me tell you about mine. I can listen almost anything, except when dad's in the car and insists on listening to 'Wild Country' radio station which seems to broadcast from Newry direction. I am not going to give out the frequency, partly because I can't remember it, and also because I wouldn't subject anyone to it by choice!

I suppose that by choice, I would prefer to listen to classical music, and have a slowly growing collection of classical cds. These range from Purcell's Funeral Music of Queen Mary (1694) through to stuff by Rutter. My favourite category of classical music (if such a category exists outside of my head), is the sacred oratorio. I suppose these mean I can develop faith / devotion, while also enjoying the classical music.

Pieces I would include in this category would be my all-time favourite bit of music, Handel's Messiah, Mendelssohn's Elijah, and Handel's Gideon, to name but a few. Messiah is an amazing piece, with all the lyrics taken from the Bible, using the prophecies looking forward to Jesus, then telling of his life, death and resurrection. The most famous part of it is something which probably everyone knows - the Hallelujah Chorus.

No comments:

Post a Comment