Friday, September 14, 2007

Rosslyn


Rosslyn Chapel Undercover
Originally uploaded by Gary McMurray.

As I mentioned the other day, I was hoping to go to Rosslyn Chapel when I was in Edinburgh. And so I made it, navigating the road system around the city and heading southwards. Into the car park, and up towards the chapel.

And there, as the chapel came into view I was astounded by the view that confronted me. Expecting the scenic church seen in the Da Vinci Code movie, instead I saw the above view - a big steel structure over the chapel.

The tour guide told us that it is to protect the old stonework from the effects of water damage. The conservation project has been going on for about ten years so far, and is nowhere near finished.

To be honest, the chapel was a bit disappointing. It's quite small, and not as ornate or interesting as it had seemed before I went. Plus, the entry fee was a bit steep. For me, the only good bit was the views from the walkway along the steel structure (which can be seen running the length of the chapel).

Think i might blog later on charging to get into churches...

No comments:

Post a Comment