Tuesday, January 22, 2008

"Excuse me, you're sitting in my seat!"

I'm working on my Anglicanism essay on the 1870 Preamble and Declaration of the General Convention of the Church of Ireland. To help in this, I've been reading through the Journal of the General Convention, and came across this wonderful motion, taken on the first day of the session:

That the Rule of the House of Commons, that any gentleman taking a seat at prayer time is entitled to retain it for the day, be observed in this Convention.

There's a couple of comments you could make on this - one that it's a bit like being concerned with the deck chairs on the Titanic as the Church of Ireland was moving into disestablishment, and could yet sink; or alternatively, that it just goes to show that Church of Ireland folk really are into their 'traditional seats'...

Either way, the journal notes that the motion failed to be passed!

No comments:

Post a Comment