Thursday, June 12, 2008

Beating The Retreat

Tomorrow begins my final preparations before ordination on Sunday. First up, a rehearsal for the service in the Cathedral, so that I know what's happening, what's expected, and who's doing what. At some point in the morning, I also make my Declarations. These are various statements of belief and practice which have to be subscribed to by those being ordained, as well as those being licensed, instituted or installed in the Church of Ireland. A few weeks ago, I was sent a copy of the Declarations, so I could have a look over them beforehand, and it fills an A4 page. But no problems, I willingly agree, assent and declare all that they contain!

Immediately after, I'll get out of my cassock, and drive off to Larne for the pre-ordination retreat. Two days in the company of the candidate Deacons for the Diocese of Connor, and led by Paul Hewitt, Rector of Glencraig.

In some ways, the past two weeks have a been a form of retreat, taking things a bit easier, and out of the normal press of life. These two days should be good, and useful preparation for the Ordination, and ministry afterwards.

At this stage, it's hard to know just how many people may well come along on Sunday night. It will be good to see some family and friends I haven't seen in a long time, and to have the support of friends from across the diocese, province, and island. But whether large or small, the important thing is that the congregation praises God for all that He has done. To Him be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment