Monday, December 05, 2005

December!

After coming under some pressure from a certain young lady, who has pointed out that it is now December, and I haven't posted 'since last month', I felt that I was under a certain obligation to post something. Even though the certain young lady hadn't posted anything since September until yesterday! Ah well... these things you just have to do... even with a mountain of work to do, you have to keep the young lady happy!

So what have I been up to in December? Well, not overly much really. I was at the cinema on Saturday night, and we saw Flightpath, which I am still analysing and trying to work out what it was about. The film had a lot of twists, and a lot of false clues and I didn't know what was going on for the most bit, and there are still parts of the script and plot that I can't work out why such things happened, but all in all, I think it was a decent film, and I'm glad I went.

Yesterday we had the Royal Ulster Constabulary GC Association Carol Service in the cathedral, and it all seemed to go well. There seemed to be a decent enough crowd out, and a silver band, and the choir. Sadly Capella, from Wallace High (my old school) couldn't make it, but we managed all right (apart from one wee dodgy line where the men forgot to come in!)

And guess what... we are now in the last week of term here in the College! It seems to have come so quickly, after seeming to be so very far off for so long. But it's going to be a hectic week, with not only the usual lectures, but extra seasonal festive events and entertainments. So the brief schedule for me is choir practice tonight and tomorrow night, then Wednesday is the Advent Carol Service, Christmas Dinner, and Christmas Party (organised by the first years)... I was also hoping to get to see Narnia on Thursday night, but I can't seem to find it on the cinema listings in Dublin for then, so I'll just have to wait and see it back at home when I'm off...

I know some people who aren't too fussed on the story, but I love the whole Chronicles of Narnia, but more especially The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - as it is an allegory of the story of the gospel, with Aslan voluntarily being slain for the rebel, and him rising again to new life. Just think how great it is that so many thousands of cinema-goers willbe confronted with the gospel, and giving them something to think about, and in their own cultural environment too... people who would never go to church, but who will happily sit for a couple of hours and watch a film.

And yet, I suppose, that Christmas is the best time for church-based evangelism, cos people who wouldn't normally come, will come and sing the carols. So how can we, as people in church, who believe that Christ did indeed come into the world to save sinners ( 1 Tim 1:15), allow people to think that the baby Jesus is so cute, and leave it at that? The baby Jesus grew up to be a man, who went to a cross and died - and through that death he paid for our sins. I wonder how many people actually realise that when they come to sing 'away in a manger'?

[I'm having a bit of a de javu moment, so if I have written something like this before, plase forgive me!]

Well now; that's all I can think of to write at the moment, but I'm sure I'll post again sometime soon, before the month changes again at the very least! In other news, Lynsey's blog has been updated, as she beings a journey to Ephesus...

1 comment :

  1. Hmmm.I didnt put any pressure on you! I just casually mentioned that you hadnt posted since November, which at that time was true! :P

    ReplyDelete