Monday, March 02, 2009

My Life Would Suck Without You

Well, Lily Allen has fallen spectacularly from the UK Number One spot, to fifth place. In her place comes Kelly Clarkson with her song My Life Would Suck Without You. The song seems to come after a break up and reconciliation with her partner. But what is it all about?

The first verse suggests that the fault all lies on the side of her man:

Guess this means you're sorry
You're standing at my door
Guess this means you take back
All you said before
Like how much you wanted
Anyone but me
Said you'd never come back
But here you are again

'Cause we belong together now, yeah
Forever united here somehow, yeah
You got a piece of me
And honestly,
My life (my life) would suck (would suck) without you


Yet the second verse balances the scales by admitting, perhaps even confessing, that the fault lies on both sides:

Maybe I was stupid for telling you goodbye
Maybe I was wrong for tryin' to pick a fight
I know that I've got issues
But you're pretty messed up too
Either way, I found out I'm nothing without you

'Cause we belong together now, yeah
Forever united here somehow, yeah
You got a piece of me
And honestly,
My life (my life) would suck (would suck) without you


So what is Kelly saying? I think she captures that relationships are an important part of our lives, and she recognises the pain involved when things break down. Saying sorry and enjoying reconciliation is the driving force of the song, precisely because she realises that life would be nothing without her partner. How much more then, to live life without the Lord Jesus in your life? Truly life would suck!

In that broken relationship, we also need to admit the wrong things we have done, to resolve to change, and to enjoy the reconciliation provided for us through the cross of the Lord Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment