Friday, September 09, 2005

Goodbye Newtownstewart

And so, the end is near, and now I face my final curtain...

Today is now my last day in work, and my last day in the village of Newtownstewart. Last night I was packing, and well, to be brutally honest, I started crying. So many memories in everything I lifted to put into boxes, and the complete realisation that this is the end of my time here... That finished any hope of packing last night.

So I was up early-ish this morning, and have the car loaded up now with stuff. I'll have one more journey westwards tomorrow or Monday just to bring the bike and whatever stuff is in the kitchen - plates, cutlery etc... And just like a good Shakespeare play where the weather reflects the mood of what is going on, today it is raining. Constant, heavy rain.

I didn't realise just how much I loved this place, and this job until now...

But God who has called me, is faithful, and has wonderful plans for me in Dublin and beyond - and there is pain in giving up things that are comfortable and familiar, but it the way of the cross, it is the way of God's people - because the blessings that lie ahead far outweigh what I could ever possibly have by being stubborn and remaining here.

Abraham was called by God to go to a place he did not know - at least I know I'm bound for Dublin. Abraham was called by God to give up his son, the one who the covenant would be brought through - I'm only giving up a flat and moving to a new place of security and dwelling.

A big thank you to the person who provided me with Proverbs 4:18:

THE PATH OF THE RIGHTEOUS IS LIKE THE FIRST GLEAM OF DAWN, SHINING EVER BRIGHTER TILL THE FULL DAY OF LIGHT.

And so I begin on the path to Dublin... Here goes!

1 comment :

  1. Don't you know it's not a path to Dublin, it's a rocky road.
    Ps
    Hazlett says to tell you there's a ween of slices of wheaten scone and half a loaf of current bun still waiting to be collected.
    Ps
    We miss you already!

    ReplyDelete