Thursday, May 10, 2007

Back from Kilkenny / Synod reflections 1

After three days in Kilkenny, I'm back in my room in Dublin, and trying to catch up with what I have missed, and dealing with things that inevitably come in during my absence. So, there were 32 emails waiting my attention, and 43 new blog postings to read in Google Reader which is a very handy way of keeping up to date with friends' blogs. I've most of them read now, but no replies written to the emails, so if you have emailed me - be patient, and I will get back to you soon!

So what have I been up to? Of course I was at the General Synod - the parliament of the church. The business was constant and important, with various Bills being proposed and discussed, reports being presented and motions being moved. From a social perspective, the synod is a good chance to meet up with friends again and see some people you haven't seen in a while. With being in a strange city for three days, there is a chance to savour the eating houses, and to discover the road layout and the facilities of the centre. The eating houses were visited and enjoyed wholeheartedly - although I have probably eaten too well over the past few days and will need a diet to prevent my expanding stomach!

There was one great disappointment, as again the proposed Synod Representation Bill was defeated at Second Reading stage. What is it going to take for the Synod to be more representative, and to reflect the changed strength and make-up of the church since 1871? Hopes were high, with some good speeches from the proposer and seconder, as well as the Clogher Brian's - Courtney and Kerr, but fear seemed to rule the day. Our time will come! I'm currently mulling over another article on representation, and will hopefully write it tomorrow at some stage. You can look forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment