Saturday, June 16, 2007

Death by ministry

Scary title, don't you think? Occasionally in our course, we're reminded about the dangers of ministry, and given some statistics about the number of people who are no longer in ministry after five years of curacy etc. And then recently I came across Mark Driscoll's blog, and in particular his couple of articles entitled 'Death by ministry.'

In the first part, he writes of his own experiences of ministry, resulting in stress and overtiredness. Scary reading. Then in the second part, he writes of some frightening statistics, possibly from the American situation, but still - how about some of these?

Fifteen hundred pastors leave the ministry each month due to moral failure, spiritual burnout, or contention in their churches.

Eighty percent of seminary and Bible school graduates who enter the ministry will leave the ministry within the first five years.

Fifty percent of pastors are so discouraged that they would leave the ministry if they could, but have no other way of making a living.

Seventy percent said the only time they spend studying the Word is when they are preparing their sermons.

---

Will you continue in fervent prayer for me and the other students in college as we prepare for ministry, and also for your own minister or pastor, that he will continue in the strength and power of the Lord?

1 comment :

  1. Thanks for this post. I attended the installation service of a pastor yesterday. I listened to the sermon and several thoughts ran through my mind.

    Your post is in line with some of the thoughts I had then. I recall several years ago when I was entering seminary my own pastor encouraged me - To always keep before me my sense of call.

    That sense of call is what has kept me in ministry all these years. It will keep you too, despite the many challenges that you are sure to face.

    Blessings,
    Marvia

    ReplyDelete