Thursday, June 21, 2007

True Prophecy

Recently I posted about the serious responsibilities of ministry. The other day I finished reading 'I am Jeremiah' by Alan Pain. He writes as if he is Jeremiah, a sort of autobiographical style, with lashings of humour and good insights into the life of a prophet.

How about these, on writing about the false prophets against the true prophets of God:

'True prophecy is a serious business. It needs a health warning: "Misuse can be fatal."' (on writing about the false prophecy of Hananiah - Jer 28)

Later, on writing of the marks of a true prophet, the third is this:

'A true prophet has been sent by the Lord - You'll know that this is the essential consciousness of the prophet of God. In his life a call burns whose flame he did not light. It was the work of the Lord.'

Which brought to mind one of my favourite hymns - 'O Thou who camest from above:'

O Thou Who camest from above,
The pure celestial fire to impart,
Kindle a flame of sacred love
Upon the mean altar of my heart.

There let it for Thy glory burn
With inextinguishable blaze,
And trembling to its source return,
In humble prayer and fervent praise.

Jesus, confirm my heart’s desire
To work and speak and think for Thee;
Still let me guard the holy fire,
And still stir up Thy gift in me.

Ready for all Thy perfect will,
My acts of faith and love repeat,
Till death Thy endless mercies seal,
And make my sacrifice complete.


No comments:

Post a Comment