Wednesday, January 18, 2006

And who are you?

An incident in the college earlier on made me smile. We were in the reception room after the Communion service, and the Archbishop of Dublin was present. I was standing talking to one of the 'lay students' who lives in the college, an American, when the Arch walked over to us. So, naturally enough, he asked us who we were... but then my friend, being totally unaware of who he was says: 'And who are you?'

Thankfully, at the time, I managed to keep a straight face, but afterwards we had a chuckle about it - how embarrassing for her. It's a good job no one will ever know about the incident! (Sorry June, if you happen to be reading this!).

It has made me think, though. I'm currently reading Harry Uprichard's book 'A Son is Revealed', based on the Gospel of Mark. Mark's Gospel is all about who Jesus is. The first verse lets the reader into the secret: 'The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.' But it then plunges into the story, with the people not knowing just who Jesus is.

And so through the teaching, and the miracles, we find the people 'were all amazed, so that they questioned among themselves, saying, "What is this? A new teaching with authority! He commands even the unclean spirits, and they obey him." ' (Mark 1:27).

As the Gospel progresses, the disciples think they have it, when they're in the boat in the storm. After all, Jesus has been teaching a lot, so he must be a teacher. '"Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?" ' (Mark 4:38) they cry, but still they aren't close to his identity.

Indeed, it is only in chapter 8 that Peter sort of gets there. "You are the Christ." (Mark 8:29)But then, his idea of the Christ or the Messiah was more a political figure who was going to kick out the Romans, rather than what Jesus came to do. So, through chapters 9 to 13, Jesus is teaching the disciples what the Christ will do, and how they are to follow him - by taking up their cross, and becoming the servant of all.

And isn't it ironic, that it took the Roman Centurion, the foreign occupier, the enemy of the Jews, to point out the identity of Jesus: ' "Truly this man was the Son of God!" ' (Mark 15:39).

So who was Jesus? Let's return again to Mark 1:1 to hear exactly who Jesus is:

'Jesus Christ, the Son of God'

5 comments :

  1. Glad your reading a good presbyterian author gary! lol get you sorted yet hehe only joking! hope things are goin well for you down in the darkness! make sure and keep your light shining for Christ and His Glory! God bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to know what "the darkness" comment was all about??????? Was it referring generally to Dublin and the Republic of Ireland, or was it referring specifically to CITC? I hope I don't have to become defensive!!

    Hope both of you guys are doing well. Gary, I do miss the chats...things have changed quite a lot in my life in recent months - certainly a lot since this time last year! But, the same is true for you and all of us I guess...I'm feeling pensive tonight! I'll email soon.

    Blessings,
    Primrose :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't possibly comment for Bryan, so perhaps he would elaborate? Although I should also caution him to be careful... Primrose can fight her corner very well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So now I have a reputation...hmm...Gary, I wonder how you happen to know that I can fight my corner very well? It wouldn't be anything to do with the fact that you drove me to defensive mode many times with your uncalled for provocations, would it?

    Waiting for clarification, Bryan!

    Primrose :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. well the 'darkness' i was refereing to was specifically the c of i training college in dublin! however there is a general darkness over the whole rebublic of ireland that was not implyed here! its time they came back to the light of the union! lol. does that answer your question Primrose?

    ReplyDelete