Thursday, January 26, 2006

January Prayer Letter

The following is my latest prayer letter. To be included on my emailing list, then click on the 'email me' link on the right, and leave a comment.

Greetings from Dublin!

I’m sure you’re wondering what I have been up to, especially if you didn’t hear from me over the holidays, or get a Christmas card from me. So here’s a quick update on what’s been going on in Dublin, and some pointers for you to be praying about.

My first term in Dublin seemed to go very quickly, with lots of new information and learning to take in, as well as the reading of books, the leading of services in the college chapel, and the social aspects of living in community! Thankfully, I have been coping so far with essays – with four being due in within a fortnight immediately after the Christmas holidays.

In terms of my studies, though, I have decided to concentrate on Greek, as it was just too complicated to try to learn both it and Hebrew at the same time. We’ve just started the second semester, which brings a couple of new courses as well: a pastoral ‘practicum,’ in which we learn how to reflect theologically on pastoral visits, and homiletics, the study of preaching.

But we’re not just in Dublin to study ministry; we’re also here to do ministry. And so we’re preparing for a mission in Trinity College on 13th February, through which we will be sharing our faith with our fellow students, and proclaiming the gospel of Jesus to them. I’m also preparing to assist in the parish of Magheralin, helping to lead services and preach in both Dollingstown and Magheralin, which will also provide me with some extra experience of these areas of ministry.

I hope that you will continue to pray for me through my time in Dublin. Some prayer points are:
- For the mission in Trinity College on 13th February, that we will be able to reach a large number of students, and challenge them with the gospel
- For all students in college, especially Third Years as they wait to hear where they will be working as Curates and as they prepare for ordination in June
- For Gareth Harron, the rector of Magheralin, and the people of the parish
- For my family, girlfriend, and friends, with the separation caused by me being in Dublin
- That I would continue to grow in my faith through all that happens, and be a good witness for Christ

Thank you for all your help and support through my time in Dublin. Be assured of my thoughts and prayers.

God bless,
Gary

‘Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus, throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.’ Ephesians 3:20-21.

No comments:

Post a Comment