Friday, January 26, 2007

The Jesus Gospel - Book Review


On seeing this book in Faith Mission last Saturday, I immediately thought it was in the line of Steve Chalke's 'The Lost Message of Jesus' and set it back on the shelf. The tagline is 'recovering the lost message'. I wasn't really in the mood for any more speculation following the Da Vinci Code's plotline of secret messages and gnostics.

But then I noticed that one of the endorsements on the front was from Rico Tice, so I picked it up again and had a second look. And then I realised that the 'lost message' is the doctrine of penal substitution, so I bought it with some of my vouchers from Christmas.

The book moves through the Bible looking at the developing revelation of the precious blood of Christ, from the problem of sin and separation in Eden, the judgement of God in the flood and the salvation for Israel in the Passover and Day of Atonement. He then considers the Gospels, looking at Jesus' attitude to the cross, and its meaning, before looking at the interpretation of the cross by the apostles, and looking towards the final consummation of the blood-bought salvation with the new heavens and the new earth.

I found it a really good read, clear in its explanation of the Scriptures, and with good illustrations. As RT Kendall says, 'Every Christian should read this book.'

No comments:

Post a Comment