Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Books, books and more books...

If you know me any way at all, then you'll know I have a bit of an addiction... My name is Gary, and I am a bibliophile. Yes, I love books and am always on the search for more. So far my library runs to 797 books, although there are others in boxes which haven't been included in my database.

A fair proportion of the books, though, are commentaries which are and will come in handy for sermon preparations and to assist in reading the Bible. Currently, I have completed the new Testament series of 'The Bible Speaks Today' series from IVP, and am one book away from completing the New Testament series of 'Tyndale Commentaries', also from IVP. Both these are extrememly good series, and if you ever see any, and are interested in getting more out of your Bible reading, then buy them for yourself! In these two series, I'm now branching slowly into the Old Testament books, although they seem to be less prevalent in secondhand bookshops. A newer series for me which also seems to be quite good are the 'Crossway Bible Guides', which have come in very useful for some recent sermons.

But as you might realise, space is quite limited, between home and Dublin, so lots of the books are either in piles on the bookcases and not properly accessible, or else stuck in boxes in my bedroom (which also leads to problems of getting about in there)... so I'm looking forward (DV) to having a proper study in my Curatage, when the time comes! Let's hope there will indeed be a spacious room for such things!

If you would like a copy of my database, currently an excel worksheet, then drop me a comment or email, and I'll see what I can do. It's always being updated though, as I find some more bargains...

No comments:

Post a Comment