Sunday, March 04, 2007

The passing of an hour

Why does time seem relative so much of the time? For example, when you're trying to get to sleep, it seems to pass slowly... or even more so when you're waiting on something good to happen. Whereas, at other times, it seems to go really quickly.

So yesterday morning, I woke up, and it was about 9.30am. Not a bad time to get up, and have a good Saturday stretching out in front of me for travels with my ma, and whatever else is happening... And I closed my eyes for a wee minute... and opened them again, only to discover it was 10.45am! Dear me! Where did the time go?

It sort of reminds me about the closing bit of 2 Peter - where Peter is answering the sceptics who are asking if the time is running slow, or if Jesus isn't coming back? The answer, of course, is that God isn't slow - his delay provides the opportunity to repent and come to faith.

'But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slow to fulfil his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that can should perish, but that all should reach repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief.' (2 Peter 3:8-10).

No comments:

Post a Comment