Thursday, June 23, 2005

Visitors

You never know what's going to happen in the office in a day! We have just had an Austrian woman in, looking for someone who wrote letters to her family, or something - I didn't quite catch the story. But she was looking for an address: 'Birnagh, Newtownstewart, Co Tyrone'. Now, me being the 'blow-in' to Tyrone didn't recognise the name, and hardly surprising, but when the other person in the office didn't know it either, then we were in difficulties!

But it was the Public Records Office to the rescue! I knew that they have a townland index on their website, and that I have used it in the past to get some info... so it was back to PRONI I went, and behold, there it was! Sadly, they don't have maps on the website which show the boundaries or location of the townlands (something for them to work on maybe), but using the 'Division' in which the townland sits, we were able to find other townlands that were on the Ordnance Survey map and locate the general area of it.

So then she offered to buy the map I had in the office... so she's away with my map, and I have 5 euro, which will help buy petrol next time I'm in Lifford! What an interesting morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment