Sunday, December 17, 2006

Carolling

We're now well into the season of Carol Services etc, and tonight is 'the big one' in Dromore Cathedral. The Carols by Candlelight service. The church always looks well, in darkness except for the flickering of candles. The traditional carols as well as some choir anthems. And of course the series of readings, taking us through God's purpose from Eden, through the prophets to the events in Bethlehem of 2000 years ago.

I'm singing in the choir this evening too, which I hadn't really planned on. But it's something I enjoy, so long as I have my starting notes! Part of the time I'll be singing bass, and the rest will be tenor - so a bit of moving around and playing with the harmonies. Just wish I had been to a practice or two beforehand!

Earlier in the week I happened upon a carol service in St Dunstan-in-the-West on Fleet Street. It was the Christmas celebration of the Fleet Street Talks - an initiative for Bible teaching for the business and legal community of Fleet Street. The rector of St Helen's Bishopsgate was the preacher, and the singing was very good. A soloist sang a hymn written by David Jackman - the president of Proclamation Trust, who speaks at the Fleet Street Talks sometimes.

One thing I noticed though, is that the English tend to sing Bethleeeeeehem, rather than Bethlehem. Wonder if that's common or just a London thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment