Tuesday, May 24, 2005

John 7 - the words of life

Last night I was reading John chapter 7. It tells of the time when Jesus went up to the Feast of Tabernacles in Jerusalem. The chief priests and Pharisees were getting cross with him, and so sent guards to arrest him.

You can imagine the scene when the guards returned to the Pharisees, without Jesus. The Pharisees were ripping! On being asked why they hadn't brought him in, the guards replied: 'No-one ever spoke the way this man does.'

You can sense the amazement the guards had, in seeing Jesus, and hearing him. It rendered them incapable of arresting him.

Do we know the wonder of hearing Jesus? He offers us words of salvation, comfort and life. Indeed, when Jesus' teaching became harder to listen, some of those who had followed him left. Jesus challenged the disciples - will you also leave me? But Peter answered: 'Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.' (John 6:68).

Come to Christ, and hear his words of eternal life:

Matthew 11:28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

Mark 6:31 "Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest."

John 6:37 "All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away."

John 7:37 "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink."

John 6:48 "I am the bread of life."

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

John 10:9 "I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture."

John 10:10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."

John 10:11 "I am the good shepherd"

John 11:25 "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies"

John 14:6 "I am the way and the truth and the life. No-one comes to the Father except through me."

John 15:1 "I am the true vine"

No comments:

Post a Comment