Sunday, May 29, 2005

Y-Friday

I'm not long in from the Crusaders 'No Turning Back Tour' in Shankill Leisure Centre, Belfast tonight. We had a group from our YF at it, and they all seemed to enjoy it. The evening started with the ironically titled 'thebandwithnoname' (who evidently do have a name...). They were fine, possibly slightly loud, but urban/rap type stuff just isn't what I'm in to.

Then Y-Friday came on, and it made it all worth it! Most of the songs were their newer ones, but I did recognise 'Holy Holy Holy' from their gig in Summer Madness 1999 (all those years ago!), and on their cd.

But one thing struck me during the concert, when the white lights were searching through the crowd... about the brightness, the intensity of one light shining in the darkness. It made me think on the holiness of God, about how he dwells in 'light inaccesible, hid from our eyes' (to quote a hymn). Imagine what it is going to be like when we meet Jesus face to face!

Jesus Christ is the light of the world. He shines in the darkest places of our hearts, shining his light, and bringing our faults to light - not to condemn us, but to seek to bring us to the point of confession and repentance, where we invite him to chine even more in us, and through us.

John chapter 1 tells us about Jesus:

'In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it... The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world' (John 1:4,5,9)

Oh Lord, shine in me and expose the dark places of my heart, that your light may shine in every part of me, and thus shine through me to those around. Bring your kingdom of light to this dark land, and so increase your glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment